It was over three years ago that I started my own journey into studying and learning about nutrition and fitness. At that time I just wanted to get my own act together, but I never imagined actually starting to offer advice to other people. However I’ve realized time and again that many discussions I have with friends or colleagues tend to sooner or later gravitate towards food and exercise, and I just feel awesome talking about that stuff.
With everything I’ve studied and experimented with I’m starting to have a good holistic picture of what you need to do to reach your own fitness and performance goals. Now I want to share that knowledge. In short I’m offering:
- 2-3 hour lecture on the basics of nutrition: I want you to know the most important mechanisms involved in fat accumulation, and how you can consciously control gaining or losing weight. I will also talk about why nutrition is extremely important factor in autoimmune diseases, type 2 diabetes, and many other so called diseases of civilization.
- 1-2 hour session on goal setting: I am still not entirely sure how to approach this, but the fact is that if your goals are not aligned with your personal values you are likely to fail in reaching them. So before starting with goals we need to work on values, what motivates you, and why you actually want to reach a particular goal.
- Personal 1-to-1 coaching: I want you to set a goal, and based on that we’ll plan how you can reach it. This will depend of course on how much time and energy you are willing to invest. I’ll help you with the nitty-gritty of nutrition, exercise and possible lifestyle changes that support reaching that goal. I’ll also help you set up tools and metrics for tracking progress and actually monitor if what we’re doing works.
- Follow-up meetings every 1-2 weeks: Either face-to-face or using Skype. The idea is to check what you’ve been doing since the previous meeting, how is it progressing, whether or not we need to change something, and to answer any possible questions you might have.
- Online support group: I will be creating a closed facebook group that is only accessible to people who join the coaching sessions. You can use the group to post questions, talk about anything related to human performance, and even plan activities together if you want to.
And I do all of this free of charge!
Obviously the next question is why the hell would I want to go through so much trouble without gaining anything from it? The way I see it, money is not the only thing of value. My main motivators are:
- Chance to learn more: I know a lot but I know there’s even more I don’t know. I hope your questions and problems will help me fill gaps in the knowledge I have.
- Chance to refine my approach: I don’t want my stuff to just work, but I want it to work efficiently. Having a sample size of more than one person will help to identify the things that have the biggest impact when it comes to e.g. weight loss or building muscle.
- Chance to make change happen: The journey I have done has been nothing short of amazing. I want to share that experience. I see way too many people who are about my age and I just know that their health and fitness are going downhill. I don’t want them to be diabetics at age 35 with double bypass surgeries ten years later.
All good so far? Here’s the kicker: I will be selective about who I am going to start coaching. This kind of stuff will demand lifestyle changes. The changes depend on your commitment level and goals. Nevertheless, any kind of change is a stressor, and if you are in the midst of a stormy relationship, building a house, changing jobs or having any other big change going on, it’s better you just forget about this until you have reached calmer waters.
I also expect that you’re willing to commit to this for the next 2-3 months. Again depending on the goals and individual factors such as possible autoimmune issues, gut health problems, stress, starting point etc. some people may be getting results in a matter of days, whereas for others it may take weeks or even a couple of months.
If you’re interested and have nothing big going on, send me a message on facebook. I am offering this at first to people I know (or are referred to me by people I know). Also, In order to preserve my sanity and have time to take care of my own fitness goals I will limit this offer to a group size of 5-8 people. We will start pretty much as soon as the group is full, so be quick :)